There are many different types of Bitcoin wallets, each with its own pros and cons. If you are just getting into Bitcoin, we recommend downloading a free mobile wallet to test out (we like Blockstream Green). As you learn more about Bitcoin, you will want to move your Bitcoin into more and more secure setups that do cost money or take longer to learn to use.
In short, if you have:
Small amounts (~0.1% net worth) — use a Mobile Bitcoin Wallet
- Muun--Seamlessly integrates Bitcoin and lightning for beginners
- Samourai— Best privacy-focused mobile wallet (Android only)
Medium Amounts (~1-20% net worth) — use a Hardware Bitcoin Wallet
Large amounts (more than 20%+ net worth) — use a Multisig Bitcoin Wallet
- Casa Keymaster Multisig —
- Unchained Capital’s Multisig — Good customer service and easy-to-use interface.
- Specter--Do-it-yourself setup that preserves privacy better.
For a more detailed explanation of wallets and their tradeoffs read this blog post.